We went out this weekend to do some comparison shopping for my big item on my "want list" the granite counter tops. Here is some of my tips:
- Look and price the alternatives, pro's and con's.
- Check out Lowe's and Home Depot they will give you some free kitchen designing booklets to help you in your search
- Look at model homes for free ideas on trend or look online. Here is my favorite site: http://ratemyspace.hgtv.com/
- Get at least 3 estimates! No less. You can use them to negotiate for a lower price.
- Make a list of any other items that need to be upgraded when you do this project. Example: new sink, faucet, stove top, vent hood, back splash. Add those costs in to the project cost.
- Slowly update the appliances. We are changing out the appliances from white to stainless steel. As you can see from the photo we did the big item the fridge. We negotiated a floor model when they were getting rid of last years models. We got it 40% off the asking price!
- Eliminate surprise costs and know exactly what to budget for.
Our update: Well we are still in the planning stage and really l0oking at which material we want to use. This is a big purchase for the kitchen and most expensive upgrade.