layout

Monday, June 28, 2010

Painting Wooden Crosses

I am back to some frugal home decorating... my fun hobby.
Oh how I love to paint! I can do this while I am on bed rest. I pull up my comfy chair to the kitchen table and go paint crazy.

My mom picked up these unfinished wooden crosses on her last trip to Canton, TX. We LOVE Canton First Monday Trade Days. If you live close and haven't been, go!
She scored all these crosses for $19! I got busy immediately, this is the one I did for Katelyn's room.
She's 13 and a full fledged teenager.
These types of crosses sell for $50 + at boutiques and online. It cost me roughly $4 to make myself.

I use the little acrylic bottles for paint. My favorite is the folk art brand.

Their paint is nice and thick, it covers great.


I did this one for Madeline my 3 year old. Can you tell the difference in my girls personalities?

I have 2 more to finish. One for Will and another one for the nursery.

Painting makes me feel so happy!

Brought a little "normal" back to me.

I am linking up to:

Southern Hospitality Thrifty Treasures Party

Domestically Speaking Paint Party

DIY Showoff Project Parade


The DIY Show Off

22 comments:

Nicole said...

Love those!

Adrien P Maroney said...

You did a great job on the crosses for your girls:) Nice to see you painting again.

Dina said...

I am so glad you are getting to do something fun! Those are really cute. And your bedroom looks great too!

All That Glitters said...

Those are way too cute!!!! I don't live near Texas but I have always wanted to go to Canton!!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me from Adam, but I did a google search for these crosses hoping to find a vendor at First Monday in Canton, and I came across your blog. Do you happen to know the name of the vendor where your mom found these? Or at least WHERE at First Monday the vendor was located? Thanks! Amy

cherry said...

these are great!
Happy 4th to you & yours
hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Cassidy said...

We were just in Canton on Friday and I picked up a bunch of these crosses to paint!! Such a steal!! And they are sold through a ministry...even better!!

Cassidy said...

Btw, Blogger Amy, the vendor is Build a Cross and they're out of Louisiana.

Lauren said...

is there a way to order those crosses online?

Anonymous said...

Do you have any additional information on Build a Cross in louisiana? I have tried to locate them online and they are not listed on the canton vendors and I am unable to find any info when googling. I would love to buy some of these crosses asap. thanks for sharing your find.

YouGoGoGirL.com said...

Hi!
Do you know the name of the company that she bought the crosses from?
I would LOVE to do one for my granddaughter! :)
Thank you soooo much!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Howdy, Jen! I would love to know how to contact that vendor that sales the crosses in Canton. Do you have any idea? I have seen several people ask, but no one has posted a definite "yes or no" that Build a Cross was found! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey, your crosses are awesome! Do you know where in Canton your mom got the unfinished wood crosses from? Im trying to find some and am not having any luck. Could you email me at nicole.risley@yahoo.com? Thank you!!

YouGoGoGirL.com said...

Still trying to find this vendor...do you have the info or actual business name and city they are located in?
Thanks girl!

No name said...

I went this weekend and just happened to come across this blog tonight. The telephone # is 318-281-9071 and her name is Jessica.

Anonymous said...

FYI!!! I went today & scored the smaller sets of 3 crosses or individual....right about 100 or more for $15!! One booth is allowing you to fill a bag FULL for $15.

Anonymous said...

Build-A-Cross has three locations in First Monday Trade Days, The Main location is off of Trade Days Blvd. behind pottery plus and I Am-erica's Flags. This booth just under-went a huge renovation and is twice the size! The other 2 locations are in Original Pavilions 1 and Trade Center 3! Contact information is Jessica Sawyer 318-669-2889, email - jess@homes=guide.com. Also now on facebook: Build A Cross

Chelsea said...

Do you know the name of this vendor? I have bought a toy box from him before and can not remember the name of his booth! Let me know if you have his business card!! Thank you so much!

Julie said...

Your blog is so much fun! I look forward to seeing more from you!

Anonymous said...

Do you attach the crosses using wood glue or a hot glue gun or how?

Unknown said...

Google "build a cross"

Unknown said...

Google "build a cross"