layout

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Discipline that works!

We've been through many discipline situations from age 1 to 13. We're not pros by any means but we've found an effective approach.
Introducing the Discipline Book: It works it really works!!! Let me share how is works... Each child has a tab in the folder. Look even little Caroline has one although it will be a good couple of years before she starts using it. Madeline at age 3 1/2 has just begun.
Here's how it works:
  • We've tried different approaches. With the discipline book the children get labor time for getting in trouble. It replaces grounding, spanking and is more effective. Why, the child is in control of getting the work done in order to do something they want. If they don't finish the labor they don't go. The ball is in their court. It makes them responsible for their actions. They learn self control. Do this then get that. Make sense?

  • When a child gets in trouble (talking back, bad report at school, hitting a sibling, not listening, not cleaning up room, etc.. you get the picture) the child gets labor time

  • Labor is given in these increments: Age (2 - 5) in 15 minute increments Age (6-8) in 30 minute increments Age (9 and up) 1 hour increments

  • We note in their tab the reason and the time given. When the time is worked off a parent signs off on it. My kids have been known to rack up 4 hours at a time...

  • How do they work it off? That's the fun part! It gives moms extra helpers around the house.

  • Labor time cannot be an item that is their regular chore for example cleaning room or making bed.

Here are some of our labor chores:

  1. Clean the room of a sibling not your own room.
  2. Pull weeds in the flower beds (great when it's warm)
  3. Wash moms car and vacuum
  4. Mop the floors or swiffer
  5. Do laundry of a sibling (this is for teen)
  6. Wipe the baseboard with a washcloth (for the little one's)
  7. Clean the kid's bathroom
  8. Dust the furniture downstairs
  9. Anything else mommy can think of!

I've gotta tell you this works around our house. Our talking back, not listening, etc has cut way back in the house in the last 8 months since we put this into practice. I don't give warnings I just assign labor. I usually get a grunt then they stop. If some one feels extra sassy they rack up time fast.

Christmas break and no labor hours assigned..... now that is proof!

Now I can't imagine this little sweetie would ever do anything wrong. Maybe by the time she's old enough to join in we will have it down to a science.... or maybe we'll be too tired to care.

11 comments:

Holly said...

Thank you!!! I love it!

Camily said...

I'm making my Discipline Book tonight! I LOVE it!!!! I've long been a believer that "consequences" should be teachable moments and I love this!

Crazy Me said...

Love, love this idea! It's a huge battle in our house especially with my 7 year old boy! I can't wait to make one!

Jenny said...

You're brilliant! I wish it worked on 19 month olds though:)

Alicia {Murry Mayhem} said...

Your Caroline may to be young and sweet...but mine sure isn't!!! I'll be trying this for sure!

Infatuated with Homes and Gardens said...

Sounds like a great solution ,unfortunatley my babies are 19 and 21 years old :( but they are pretty good most of the time.
~Sharon~

Lauren@ Not Your Average Southern Belle said...

I wish all parents were more like you! Would make my job as a child counselor a lot easier :)

Aimee said...

We did a chart thing kind of like this when Nathan was little. It didn't work with him...he was so stubborn he'd go right off the chart! My kids would have hundreds of hours of labor to do!!

Glad it works for y'all. Your kids are always so good...I can't imagine them misbehaving!! :)

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

What an ingenous way to discipline and promote manners and good behavior. Making children aware at an early age that they are accountable for their actions is so important. It sounds like you are fair and consistent in utilizing the Discipline Book and clearly it has paid off. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley Tremaine said...

Thank you for such great ideas!! I am going to do my best to do something similar. My 2nd is so difficult to discipline...I have not found anything that works for him...this just might do it!! Thanks again!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Ooh, my sister sent me this link and I think this sounds like a fabulous idea! It gives them consequences without having to take something away, ground, spank, etc. Thank you! I only have one and she's 20 months, but this is a great idea!